Highways Maintenance Operative (VN1952)
Business Area: Highways Operatives
Vacancy Base: Rockbeare, Exeter
Contract Type: Permanent
South West Highways is a regional employer that maintains the friendly feel of a local business. A highway services and construction business with a highly trained workforce, which is our greatest asset, enabling us to operate a self delivery model.. As testament to our success, we have managed two of the longest running highway maintenance and repair contracts in the UK and are entrusted by private and public sector clients to deliver their vision for expanding capacity and improving local services.
Purpose of the role and your responsibilities;
- Able to complete record sheets, paper or electronic
- Able to take responsibility for plant, equipment and vehicle defect inspections
- Prepared to develop and undertake relevant training and qualifications
- To understand and be responsible for their own safety and that of others
- To be available for emergency and/or winter call outs
- Able to manage others, taking responsibility for the organisation of specific jobs
Formal qualifications required;
- Abrasive Wheels
- Emergency First Aid
- UK Driving License
- Relevant TM 12D
- Able to take responsibility for traffic management.
- Generally, hold 18 months+ experience
- HGV licence preferable
- Use a range of power tools
- Use of PDA as required
- Able to give clear basic instructions
Specialist driving / gully emptying / LGV Winter / VRS (basic) / TM 12 a, b, c or d / Dealing with the public / NVQ2 Winter
- Good communications skills
- Able to work as part of a team
- Must live within 20 miles of Rockbeare Depot
We understand that retaining and attracting the right people into our business is fundamental to maintaining the quality of service we provide to our clients and the wider public. We believe in empowering our employees and equipping them with the tools and training they need to be effective in their jobs, as well as enabling them to achieve their personal and professional goals. Our people are our strength and we believe passionately in investing in their future.
We have a dedicated recruitment team and politely request that agencies refrain from contacting anyone across our businesses with regards to speculative CV’s or offering to assist with our vacancies, thank you.